Sunday, October 27, 2013

Day twenty-six: Hiding problems

As some of you may know, here at school I co-manage a coffee shop, called The Hiding Place, which is located in the basement of a church down the road. I was new to the place this year, I had never gone last year, only heard about it. And this year, we have only done it about 3 times, but my co-manager decided I would be okay to do it on my own this weekend. So tonight, I was alone in managing. 
And what could go wrong but just about everything, right? I mean, it was my first night alone, so the devil jumped right on top of that one. The espresso machine would not turn on, which is what we use for basically everything, and then the pump for the chocolate stopped working. Also, our event was a spoons tournament and so we needed Halloween buckets with candy for prizes, but they were not provided by the person who promised they would put them there, so I had to drive to the store really fast and get some. And after all of that, no one really showed up for the tournament. At the same time, we threw a surprise party for our friend Adam, so there were about 7 of us there. It was a pretty stressful night for the most part.
But, I had fantastic friends who were helping me try to fix the things, and who stayed there even when no one else came. And we made a great game of spoons out of it all. So take that, devil! Even when things seem hopeless, and like everything was going wrong, I had great friends there behind me who stayed and supported me. My sister was also talking to me, reminding me that I would look back and laugh at all of this one day. God put them in my life for a reason, and I am so thankful for that! Even in the midst of stress, God showed me joy.

"You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble, you surround me with shouts of deliverance." Psalm 32:7

No comments:

Post a Comment