Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Day of Silence

As part of a national campaign for Students For Life of America, today was a "Pro-life day of silent solidarity" where students across the country gave up their voices for a day for those over 3,000 babies a day that have their lives end in the name of choice. I was very excited to join in on this today because it is such a visual representation of what is actually happening to these babies. I was also incredibly nervous. As most people know, I do not like the spot light, I do not like being looked at very much, and this definitely drew a lot of eyes. At the same time, though, I could feel an uncomfortable air from a number of people. It was like watching in a zoo, except, I wasn't sure what side of the glass I was on. At times it felt like I was watching the animals; watching what they do when something different, something controversial comes around. And then of course I felt like the monkey everyone was watching because I have a giant piece of red duct tape across my mouth reading "LIFE" and a shirt that says "I will use my voice for those who cannot speak." Yep, I am a walking controversial billboard. One guy was having a conversation, saw me and stopped to read it and then said "Yeah, okay" like he was annoyed or just blowing it off. (But he read it.)

The point is, this day of silence was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I prayed for courage this morning because I did not know if I could actually get through this. Because I want to explain, I want to talk to people about it, engage them in conversation about abortion and why these children should get to have a voice. Turns out, though, silence speaks louder than you think sometimes. It gets the wheels turning and puts the thought into people's minds because, quite frankly, it is a rather odd display and a pretty powerful one at that.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you, He will not leave you or forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

I think that best part about this day is what I personally learned from it. Imagine sitting in a class where people bring up something you know a lot about- even better, maybe the bible is brought up, or abortion or some other controversial issue that you feel strongly about. Now imagine that you do not get to say a thing. Almost literally having to hold your tongue when you know that this could be a chance to evangelize; this could be a chance to teach; this could be a chance to change someone's heart or mind on an idea, a chance to save a life. But you can't. You can't speak, you can't communicate. What if it was your life you could save? But you can't speak. And you never will because other human beings have made that decision for you.
You deserve a voice. They deserve a voice. Those infants in their mother's womb, they deserve a chance to live a life where they get to use their voice. They deserve the chance to be sitting in class and talking about something they've learned a lot about. They deserve the chance to experience talking about something that they are passionate about, a chance to help some cause they feel strongly about.

Last night my roommate commented that it was depressing that she wouldn't be able to talk to me all day today. All I could think is, how depressing for those children and the people who they will never get to touch with their lives; all the conversations they will never get to have. Now, that is depressing.

As sinful humans, we have no idea what God has planned for that child, only He does. We don't get to decide if they fulfill their potential or not, only He does.

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." 
Proverbs 19:21

After this experience, more than ever, I am ready and wanting to jump up and speak out for those children. Fight for their chance at a life, because I believe that everyone deserves that. That child who, from the moment of conception, has 46 of his/her own chromosomes making him or her their own unique person. That child who, at just 24 days, already has a beating heart. That child whom God has a plan for, just like He did for you and me. They deserve to find the joy in life, simply by first having a life.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute." Proverbs 31:8

No comments:

Post a Comment