Thursday, September 26, 2013

What are you doing with your life?

It has become a common saying among some of my friends. "What are you doing with your life?", we ask each other, in usually sarcastic tones, almost daily. But, in all seriousness, what ARE we doing with our lives? Oh, I have a suggestion! How about finding joy in it? Yeah, there is that whole finding a job thing, making a living, figuring out how to support the family you hope to have, but what is all  that if you do not have joy?
Here's a clip from the movie "The Bucket List". Morgan Freeman's character asks two questions that we should really ask ourselves as well. Granted, we may or may not be close to death, but it's good to think about, regardless.
"Have you found joy in your life?"
"Has your life brought joy to others?"
So, ask yourself. Finding joy in life is different for everyone; Being around family and friends, learning new things, bringing the message of God to others, among other things. Those of you who know me know that it does not take much to make me smile. I find joy in the little things. The sunset over the lake, the smell of fall coming, looking up at the stars and basking in the wonder and glory of God's creation. I know that God loves me, and that brings me joy, as it should to you.

John 13: 34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."

So how can you bring joy to others? By showing God's love to them. These are not difficult questions, as Jack Nicholson's character seems to make them. First, you find the joy in your life. Think of it this way, God has put everything in your life, so you can find your joy through Him. Trust that He is going to give you what you need. Second, you take that joy in Christ and you show it to others. It's as simple as that.
So, again, what are you doing with your life? You do not need this great, extravagant plan to make a million dollars or cure a disease. Just find the things that make you happy, they can be big or small, and then go out and show them to other people, and encourage them to find the things that make them happy too.

" Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:18


No comments:

Post a Comment