Saturday, September 18, 2021

God bless the USA

It has been a somber week. With the 20th anniversary of those horrific attacks on our country, my husband and I have been watching a national geographic documentary on Hulu called "9/11: One day in America". It is a six episode series with real life accounts of people who were there. Firefighters who were in the tower when it collapsed. Survivors from the impact zone in the South tower. A lawyer who survived two separate times that day. The stories of the deafening silence after the towers fell. These people's stories are incredible. The things they saw and heard. The things they can never un-see or unhear.  Watching the footage and hearing their recounting of that day has been emotional and just shocking to watch. I cannot even imagine the fear going through people's minds that day and probably in the days that followed for a bit. I mean some of these people didn't even know what had happened, they just ran and ran until they got out far enough, looked back and said "Where are the twin towers?" It is honestly unfathomable what these people went through that day; what we as a country went through 20 years ago. These attacks on our country and the subsequent war. So many lives lost. 

And now where are we? 20 years later and we are under more attacks. This time from our own people, even. People fighting left and right. There is so much division in this country. Instead of coming together as a country, like we did after those dark horrible days in 2001, we have been splitting further and further apart. 

You know, the other night as I was driving home, I heard "God bless the USA" on the radio. And I kid you not, I cried the entire way through that song. 

"And I'm proud to be an American,
Where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
Who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up,
Next to you and defend her still today.
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA."

I mean honestly. right now, does it really feel like we are honoring those men and women who fought and died to keep our freedoms? Do you feel like our neighbor would gladly stand up next to you and defend this country? There has been so much derision of people who don't believe the same as we do. I'm not saying I'm innocent by any means. But this has got to stop. I am not intending to make this a political post. You can have your opinion, I can have mine; and guess what? They can be different. We can still be friends. We can still stand together to keep the freedoms for this country so that we can continue to have the right to our differing opinions. 

"If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand." Mark 3:25

On that dreadful day 20 years ago, our enemies thought they could destroy us but we proved them wrong. We came together, we grew stronger together, and we fought back- together- not divided.

I know people have opinions about this but I honestly believe that God works all things together for good. 

"And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Think of it this way, we all like cake, right? Or some kind of yummy dessert. So set out all of your ingredients that will get you to that yummy dessert. Now, start eating them individually- maybe they'll all taste good once they are together in your stomach!... No? Right, some of those ingredients taste pretty awful alone. And honestly, it's hard to see the picture of the glorious cake when you look at just a pile of ingredients. 

Some of these happenings right now taste pretty awful. Actually downright disgusting, if I'm being completely honest. But I know God is working. He is working on people's hearts. He is working on a plan we cannot even fathom. He has GOT US. He's gonna make us the most amazing cake ever- whether we get it on this side or in heaven. Trust God. 

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

The world is a scary place right now. There is war, there is suffering, there is heartache, death- there are events (ingredients) that are really not tasting too great right now. All we can do, is give it to God. He is our protector, He is our Savior, He is going to pull us through whatever we are going through, and then some. It so much easier to say than to do, I definitely know that. All I can say is, try. His will, not ours. Here is a prayer that I have been trying to keep in mind lately. I hope it is of help to you to bring you some peace and help you to find and refocus on the joys in life that Our good and gracious Father gives to us. 

Lord, I thank You that You are the God of the impossible. You can do anything. I want to trust in Your ability and not my own. Teach me to see difficulties in my life from Your perspective. Help me to focus on You and Your power. I want to be like Joshua and Caleb who believed in a good report and focused on You even in hard circumstances (Numbers 14:7-9). My responsibility is to carefully read, trust, and obey Your Word. Help me not to fear but to trust You in these situations. I declare my faith in Your ability to fulfill Your promises to me. You will fight for me and win the battles in my life. You are mighty, powerful, righteous, and true. In Jesus' name. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment